Saturday, April 25, 2009

Feel the Beat Enjoy the Trip




By Carla Trinidad

CARLA TRINIDAD is a graphic artist whose drawings, part of a series called “Feel the Beat Enjoy the Trip” are being published in this issue of L PAPER. The “Feel the Beat Enjoy the Trip” project was born when she moved to New York three years ago. She says, “What surprised me the most about the city was the waste of resources, which made me realize the lack of environmental consciousness. Every time I asked for a coffee they would give me a lot of extra unnecessary napkins that I wouldn’t use. I felt so bad about throwing all those virgin napkins in the garbage can. Therefore I decided to give them a better destiny...” Her project consists of making drawings over those blank napkins during her commute from home to work and vice versa. “My inspiration comes from the many visual inputs I found in the NYC Subway,” she explains. “The drawings depict real people or things I found interesting mixed with my imaginary world.” The result is that every drawn napkin has a story behind it and becomes a witness of a moment in her commutes. So far this project has 500 napkin moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment