Saturday, April 25, 2009

Part Me, Part Others

by Gabi Pawelec

(In memory of Brad Will and Marcella “Sali” Grace Eiler)

 

Part I: Childhood

 

Ate mustard and radish sandwiches.

When tall enough to reach the stove

Cooked my own meals

Hamburger Helper or

Pasta with butter and oil

Bought on food stamps

From the Deli we lived on top of

In an Italian-American

White trash neighborhood

Where we were the outsiders

For being immigrants from Poland.

 

House cluttered with knick-knacks

Found off the streets.

Created a maze

An obstacle course

On the way to my bedroom.

Mom was never home

Always working her waitress job.

Dad was always somewhere

In his own world.

Loneliness made me pull at my hair

Classmates were the first to notice.

Bit my nails and cuticles until they bled.

Winter made my hands sting with regret.

 

Fell in love with books.

Loved touching the spines

Graced the edges of the pages

Softly to avoid paper cuts.

Books clutched tight to my chest

Walked through so-called shady neighborhoods

To get to the library

To touch those books

And bring them close to my body.

 

 

Wrote a book at the age of nine.

Never told anyone.

 

With no one to wake me up

Stopped going to school most days of the week.

Spent my waking hours

In my pajamas

Moving from the bed to the couch.

 

Part II: Adulthood

 

Left home shortly after High School.

Walls in my house were full

Of such sadness

I was afraid they were going

To cave in and swallow

Me whole.

 

I wandered.

Slept on the train

Going all the way

To the end of the line

And back.

Woken up by men and women

With suits and briefcases

On their way to work.

Park benches

In the middle of rainstorms.

Couches with bed bugs.

 

Found people

Who also left home.

They taught me

How to

Sneak into abandoned buildings

Hop turn-styles

Fix a broken bike found on the street

Dig through the trash for the good stuff.

Use quick schemes to make cash

Like selling panties online

Stealing and reselling things on Ebay.

I learned how to save my life.

 

 Part III: Love

 

Met a girl named Hazard

Hair soft as brillo pads.

On sticky summer nights

We outstretched our arms

Trying to reach the lampposts.

Rolled around

On wet grass

Underneath the stars

Waiting for the sun to come up.

She counted

My fingers and toes

Went from A to Z.

Delirious and giddy

We created bows

In each others mouths

With our tongues.

 

Part IV: Death

 

Decided to hop trains to Oaxaca.

Teachers were protesting

for better school conditions

and raises.

Elderly women stood between

Protesters and police

Screaming.

Night-sticks hit everyone

Heads bleeding

People falling down.

Was arrested for having a camera.

After three nights in a cell

Without food or water

Was raped by a prison guard.

Fist on my throat

Choked to death

on my own blood.

 

GABI PAWELEC is a native New Yorker currently living in Brooklyn. She is a CUNY student of Creative Writing and Queer Studies. She also enjoys baking cupcakes and riding her bicycle in skirts all over NYC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment